View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #17
swimangel72

Re: A Message from Dr. Love about the New Mammography Guidelines

So Debbie, because I disagree with the NY Times article you quoted and also disagree with Dr. Susan Love - that makes me "reactionary and paranoid" ? I think not.........and most of the women who have responded to this thread seem intelligent and thoughtful - yes they are angry, and they have a right to be so, but certainly not "paranoid".

I am totally dismayed and depressed that doctors on this task force are more like actuarians than healers.........and that they are willing to permit an increase in breast cancer deaths to save money. Still, I AM hopeful that this firestorm of controversy will have a benefit in the long run............that more of our breast cancer fund-raising dollars will go towards real RESEARCH to find the "evidence" that they are basing all these guidelines on...........that scientists will pursue more reliable and safer breast cancer screening tools (cheaper MRI's would be fantastic)..........and that more money will go towards the education of future doctors, especially radiologists, to teach them HOW to properly read the results of these tests to avoid the false-positive dilemna. And finally - that more money will be spent on finding a cure, especially for Stage IV breast cancers. May God's angels watch over and protect all of us.
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote