View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
vlcarr

Re: Chemo, fever question & incision - I'm tired

Thank you all so much for making me feel better. I thought about this all day yesterday after my post and reminded myself that not only was I diagnosed with bc in May but I also underwent major neck surgery on 04/01/09. I was told without the neck surgery I would be paralyzed. I had to wear a hard collar 24/7 for 6 weeks. I was in still in physical therapy for my neck when I felt the lump in my breast.

This was my 2nd neck surgery (first one in 1999) and in 2003 I crushed all the bones beneath my knee, split my tibia down the middle and separated my shoulder. I was in a wheelchair for 3 months and even traveled for work in my wheelchair. I had to learn to walk again since it was a non weight bearing injury and I could not put weight on that leg for 3 months. I have a metal plate and 8 screws in my knee/leg and a metal plate and 5 screws in my neck.

So, after I processed all that and read your words I'm not going to doubt my strength or beat up on myself anymore. I am a fighter! It just didn't help that I was coming out of one thing and went right into this fight with bc. But, I'm not giving up and I will go easy on myself.

Don't know what I would do without all of you
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote