View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
Chelee

Re: Would appreciate any help or advice

Tricia, This is a common problem being claustrophobic. That's the 1st thing they ask you when you go for a MRI. So this isn't anything you should be embarrassed or worried about. In fact they have open MRI's just for people that can't deal with a regular MRI machine. I do think I've heard a regular MRI is more reliable as far as results...but even if you do an open one it will be fine or obviously they wouldn't even have them.

I just did a MRI of femur and pelvis...took two hrs in that machine. I took some xanax and just got comfortable. (Except for my back but thats due to my scoliosis.) They do give you a "blub" to hold in your hand. They tell you if at any time you need something or want out to SQUEEZE the blub and they will instantly ask you what you need and pull you out if necessary. They run across this problem all the time...so just call them ahead of time and tell them your concerns and see if they suggest you go to a open MRI instead. Although like the others here said...if you close your eyes and relax its just like taking a nap. I'm not claustrophobic at all and I never opened my eyes because I was resting. They give you ear plugs which work great...you can hardly hear the knocking noise. They can talk to you while your in the MRI machine & hear everything you say...so you aren't diconnected from them at any time. Wishing you the best.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote