View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
TriciaK

Re: Would appreciate any help or advice

Tricia, I do self-hypnosis, but still don't like MRI's. The only thing I ever know to do is to focus on the rhythm of the machine, ignoring the"knocks" as much as possible, and repeat over and over "No. Evidence. Of. Disease.", like a mantra, breathing as slowly and rhythmically as possible with the machine. The "open" MRI's are a little easier than the usual ones. Ask for a sedative and let them know your fears. I was told even grown he-men types get claustophobic and panic, so don't be embarrassed. Tell them to keep talking to you and to let you be able to express you feelings. I think they can take you out if you insist, but I'm not sure because I was told PET scans can't be stopped, so maybe MRI's can't either. I think there are three difficult things: the loud knocking sounds, the length of time, and the feeling of being so enclosed. If you can find anyone who can do hypnosis with you I think that helps more than anything.
I really sympathise and will hold you in my thoughts and prayers. You may find, though, that you amaze yourself by how well you do. Just look at everything else you've conquered! You are a cancer survivors and therefore a warrior!! Hugs, (the other) TriciaK
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote