View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #16
Ruth

Re: My Medical ins - Premium nearly doubled !!!

My policy does cover it but only due to me not having a lapse in coverage of over 60 days...GA insurance law. I had to apply and get into the high risk pool and was picked up by BCBS's high risk policy. Huge deductible and co-pays and only covers me, not my husband (who is also self employed) or the kids. Some states have this option. However, almost all states have ways of getting coverage if you are self employed. You need to incorporate your business and have one other employee (officer..usually husband/wife) on payroll and then form a group policy. You need at least 2 employees of the business to form a group policy. You will be rated, but, you can get pre-existing coverage. I am over the 5 year mark but still got quotes back being rated in the group plans. I ran the numbers and even if my husband and I decided to do a group policy his insurance premium which is ridiculously low now would cost us more with us forming a group policy than what I am doing now unless I get sick again and then we are pretty much in trouble! I deduct my premium payments and opened an HSA to help.
Hugs ~ Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote