View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
bejuce

Question Should I consider taking Zometa?

I've seen a lot of postings/signatures lately talking about Zometa as part of a treatment plan. I'm about to finish with radiation next week (4 more treatments, woohoo!) and have a visit with my oncologist on Tuesday before my next Herceptin infusion. I'm going to ask her about putting me on Zometa as what I've read so far points to its reduction in recurrence - especially for premenopausal women.

I'm slightly ER+ (5%)/PR- and thinking about adding it to my treatment plan in the future. I've had so many drugs so far and got a near-complete response at surgery but am wondering if Herceptin alone for a year will be enough. I may also go on Tamoxifen, but that is still to be decided.

So, wise women/men of this wonderful board, can you please point me to links of studies talking about Zometa and its added benefits? Or for those of you taking it, what made your doctor/you decide to do it? How often do you take it? Every 6 months? How are the side effects?

Thank you so much!!!

Marcia (bejuce)

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote