Thread: cataracts
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Sandra in GA

Re: cataracts

Rich,
As you can see from my signature, I have had Herceptin, cytoxin, adromycin, Taxol and Tykerb. I have not had Navelbine. I will be finished with everything in six weeks! (YEAH)

The Decodron was given when I had A/C and then the first 12 weeks of Herceptin Tykerb plus Taxol. That ended up being about five months on IV steroids; eight weeks every two weeks, then every week for 12 more. My doctor down at Mayo in Jacksonville said he sees this often in chemo patients. I tend to believe that the steroid was the more probable cause.

I do have glasses now to help me until I can have the surgery. I have to complete that Tykerb before my onc will release me to have surgery. They told me if I was only taking Herceptin they could go ahead with the surgery. They are afraid that the Tykerb will interfer with the healing process.

The first glasses did not work when I got them three weeks after the exam. (I just waited until my next app for Hercetpin to pick them up.) They had to change the prescription because there had been that much change to my eyes in that short time. Now I have glasses that have given me much better distance vision for now. My eye doctor would have preferred doing the surgery quicker and not prescribing glasses because of the rapid changes I am having but when told about the Tykerb completely understood my situation.

I am hoping to schedule the surgery as soon as possible following completion of the Tykerb. It has a very short half life (24 hours), so I won't have to wait for it to get out of my system. I am just looking forward to better vision again.
Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote