View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 12:40 AM   #15
Lani

Re: Lani, propeller heads, and WBR sisters/brothers ~ looking for info and ideas

I would make sure you know the difference between IMRT and Cyber and gamma knife. As I understand it, and I can be quite wrong let me say, IMRT is just applying different software instructions to external radiation therapy in order to better shape the beam to put more where you want it and less where you don't. Cyber and Gamma knife are more pinpoint acccurate in my understanding. This may become important if you don't want areas affected that might be part of your "noggin" and to keep areas amenable to other treatments eg, radioactive iodine in the future if needed.
Again, I might be wrong, but I would certainly seek out knowledgeable,experienced and specialized radiation therapists. I was shocked to find out that radiation therapy MDs at UCLA are expected to treat ALL kinds of tumors, whereas those at Stanford are pretty much all specialized to treat one or two kinds
You can imagine the difference in their expertise let alone their ability to advise one kind of treatment vs another based on experience. I was told it is because UCLA is very short of radiation therapy MDs. Try to find out all you can about the department you think might treat you and you might want to get several opinions.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote