Thread: Oh man....
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Jackie07

Re: Oh man....

Sassy,

In our 'Chinese family' in Taiwan, there's not a clear cut of separation when children reach adulthood. All young men participate in some form of military training for 1-2 years when they reach 20 years of age. And most of them came back a 'man' - attending college (if they haven't been graduated - college students delay their training until after receiving their diploma), getting a job, raising a family. Both young men (and young women) usually continue to live in their parents' house until they are married or out of town working/ going to college - because housing is extremely expensive there.

I went to college in the Capital city and stayed in my Oldest Brother's apartment at the very beginning before I moved to the dorm on campus. It's only 30-50 minutes bus ride from home, so I was home quite frequently during holidays or any long period of breaks.

My parents had tears in their eyes when seeing me off at the airport in 1984 - I was headed for Texas for my graduate study. I never thought I would be staying here, but they seemed to have known it. So far I've only been home three times (spending 2 weeks with them each time) and 2 of my 5 siblings (Oldest Brother and 2nd Sister) had been here a total of three times, including taking care of me after my brain surgery in 1990 and double mastectomy in 2007.

I would like to go home visit more often, but my 'empty head' does not take the cabin pressure well - suffered very much the three times I flew home and back. It's been understood that I might not be able to go 'home' to visit them ever in my life time.

One of my two Sisters calls me every weekend. I call my parents at least once a month just to let them know that I am OK. - I did not do that until after my recurrence... Remember 'no news is good news' - you might want to give your son a phone card and tell him to call home regularly...

Even though I don't have children of my own, I wanted to share with y'all my point of view from the other side...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 08-26-2009 at 04:50 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote