View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
mts

Re: Tamoxifen for 5% ER?

Marcia,

I posed this same question a few years ago... I too am 5% ER+ and PR neg.
I spoke to a pathologist from MD ANderson Texas-- and she told me that samples sent from the operating table to the lab to be frozen can lose some viability and therefore a 5% result may actually be higher... I had my ER checked 3 times... one in Florida, a second opinion that was sent to MD Anderson and a 3rd sample that was sent to UPenn... all came back different (but all ranges between 5% and 15%.

I was on tamoxifen for approx 5 months at first, and I really could not tolerate it. People told me that side-effects -in essence - was proof that the tamoxifen "was working".
My onc has gone back and forth on this with me since 2005... He has told me time and again that a little ER+ is still positive and that although the benefits may not be as great as someone who has a higher ER, its still a benefit...
I have not been on Tamoxifen for nearly 3 years and feel great. I know I must sound like a wimp- especially since there are so many women who would prefer to have Tamoxifen side effects vs. chemo... but I truly felt awful taking the tamoxifen (vertigo like side effects). Although I am reminded of my bc every time I look in the mirror, I don't have the Tamoxifen thing sitting on my shoulder. I am comfortable living with my ounce of doubt. I am now 5 years post diagnosis... been through it all and feel at peace with my decision.

In the end, its what ever you can live with. Both physically and mentally.

Maria
Infiltrating DCIS
HER2+, ER+10% & PR-
.9cm tumor not visible on mammo, but palpable; visible on ultrasound
Lumpectomy/ clear margins, no nodes
Had Breast MRI after lumpectomy that revealed two more tumors in same quadrant(.4cm and 1.6cm) that were not visible on either mammo or ultrasound.
Re-excision
DD AC+T; Herceptin one year
Rads
NED/Taking Tamoxifen reluctantly
--------------
mts is offline   Reply With Quote