View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 AM   #19
Ted_Hutchinson

Re: A must watch - Risk Breast cancer and vitamin D 50-80% risk reduction

Quote:
I think as mentioned it's a very personal decision as to where you live and how much sun you get as mentioned.
Indeed that is why this decision needs to be taken in the light of the evidence.

Only when you have had a 25(OH)D test will you know how far from ideal your current vitamin d level is.

I can show you the chart of average UK adult vitamin D status.

Remember this chart is in nmol/l and the Grassrootshealth D Action result comes in ng/mL to convert take the ng/mL number and multiply by 2.5 so 40ng/mL mulitplied by 2.5 = 100nmol/l
or take the nmol/l number 75nmol/l (I will be surprised if many UK adults reach that this year) and DIVIDE by 2.5 so 75nmol/l divided by 2.5=30ng/mL

I can show you evidence that Vitamin D deficiency is much the same in Ireland as the UK.

But the only way you will know if this also applies to you is if you get yourself tested. and then use either 1000~2000iu/daily for each 10ng/mL you need to raise to reach the level you decide is your target. 55ng/mL ~ 66ng/mL
or if you live somewhere where sun exposure is viable you may like to use this online calculator to be more confident you are getting sufficient though you have to remember vitamin d synthesis is a HEAT driven process and if your skin is freezing cold you it won't be synthesizing vitamin d3 whatever the calculator may say is theoretically possible.

Bear in mind that you are trying to mimic the NATURAL vitamin D level that would have occurred if you lived wearing the clothes you were born with and which it now appears our DNA works best with.

This new paper from Vieth
How to optimize vitamin D supplementation to prevent cancer, based on cellular adaptation and hydroxylase enzymology.
Explain a question that has bothered me for some time and needs to be understood by everyone who likes to rely on winter sun holidays to top up their vitamin d status in the winter.

The paper explains why higher 25(OH)D concentrations are not good if they fluctuate and that desirable 25(OH)D concentrations are ones that are both high and stable.

It's bothered me for some time that people from the UK who take short breaks to the tropics midwinter to try to boost their vitamin D status appear more vulnerable to picking up bugs from the recycled air in aircraft cabin on the flight home. We know that people who generally have higher levels of 25(OH)D are generally more resistant to upper respiratory tract infections so one might expect people who have just spent 5~7 days sunbathing would be less vulnerable to infection.

However this immune system vulnerable "lag time" created by a sudden change in vitamin d status could be avoided by supplementing BEFORE going for your winter break and on your return from the tropics so the rise before is more gradual and the decline after the holiday is reduced.
Ted_Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote