Thread: lymphadema!
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
Sandra in GA

Re: lymphadema!

I am so happy to learn about this procedure. I almost did not have the recommended radiation treatments even though I had 21 of 21 lymph nodes removed from my left arm test positive. My left arm is my "good" arm that performs all of my daily living tasks due to the fact that as a small child I had Polio that caused me to have very limited use of my right arm. I cannot lift anything, feed myself, write, etc. with my right arm. When the radiation oncologist told me that there would be a 30% increase in the chance of the lymphadema occurring, I almost bolted and ran for the hills. I did go ahead since I had so many positive lymph nodes and completed 5 weeks therapy in April this year. So far I have had only very mild swelling problems and I do have a compression sleeve, gauntlet and the therapist has taught my husband to do the massages. Knowing there is this procedure in case it progresses and causes problem using my only operative arm brings me much relief!!!

Sandra
Nov. 2009 began Tykerb daily along with Taxol and Herceptin given weekly for 12 weeks (this stretched to 14 weeks because of low WBC and temp on two occasions).
Now taking Herceptin once every 3 weeks and daily oral Tykerb until middle of Nov.

In a phase II study of the cardiac safety and tolerability of Herceptin and Tykerb added to adjuvant chemotherapy at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL for early stage treatment.

Last edited by Sandra in GA; 08-11-2009 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: add signature to be saved
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote