Thread: Chemo-brain
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
chicagoetc

Re: Chemo-brain

Thanks for the info. I actually was referred to a neurologist and from there to a "neuropsychologist". The psychological/neurological testing done showed definite deficits/decline.

My oncologist said it was an experiment, that he typically does not refer patients as he did me. The interactions with the neurologist and the psychoneurologist were not as smooth as I would have hoped. The best part was the "cognitive rehab" (done by a speech therapist). Many insurances do not cover this as they say it is experimental.

I'm trying to adapt to this the way I would with other vulnerabilities/weaknesses that have already been there. It's the loss that hurts. Adapting and having strategies help. Also I'm better than I was a year ago. [But maybe that's because of the Namenda? If the Namenda didn't help they were going to try Provigil as mentioned in Joe's article.]

Definitely not just stress, depression, anxiety etc though I'm sure they don't make it better. It helps to have had so many here on this forum validate the same experience.

Melanie
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote