Thread: Chemo-brain
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
KellyA

Re: Chemo-brain

This is definitely for real. I have had significant problems since chemo, and unfortunately, it has not gotten any better with time. It involves short term memory only, and affects me everyday, enough so that I have felt the need to "explain" to people I work with and those I see regularly- not just to my immediate loved ones. I have actually gotten lost while driving to places that I have frequented often. It has, at times, began extremely upsetting. I truely feel that I could understand how it would be in the early Alzheimers stages. It is definitely worse if I am tired, or otherwise stressed, and I knowingly try to be extra prepared on those days. A pad and pencil are always by my side and I have to make a concerted effort to drop everything and just listen when people are telling me things, or I will forget entire conversations.

It has been hard for me because I was always the "quick" one in the bunch and could remember every little thing from years ago (much to my husbands dismay!). On a brighter note, my boys have noticed they get away with alot more.... "don't you remember Mom? You said I could stay out later."

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote