View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Darlene Denise

Gerri: I think the first thing to do would be to request a copy of the MRI report. Have this PA fax it to her and read the impression from the radiologist. I am amazed the PA would say she doesn’t think it's malignant, how would she know?

This could be a menginoma which is typically begin, but can cause symptoms and may or may not need treatment. They are common in women with breast cancer. I have one along with brain mets. The fact that there is edema is concerning for it being metastases. The location of the lesion would be telling if it is a menginoma. Although possible, just mets to the brain is not as likely which is why a PET scan has been ordered. If there is no other mets in the body and since this is a singular lesion (breast cancer usually presents multiples) then it may be a primary brain tumor and the neurosurgeon is the key to making that determination. The information from the PET along with the brain MRI will paint the most accurate picture. The only way to know 100% what something is in the brain would involve biopsy or removal.

I don't think an appointment with the onc at this point would tell anything. Onc's don't like to take their limited time playing the "what if" game. They tend to want the scans and definitive issues to work with and then will explain what is really going on. I know it is hard to wait, but in this case, it is a necessary evil. They need both scans and the onc will rely on information developed from the neurosurgeon.

I know of what I speak, the anxiety in this issue is suffocating. See if that PA can script your friend a low dose of Xanx to get her through this time. The Decadron steroid that they gave for the edema is a very difficult drug to tolerate when taken daily and it has a long list of side effects. I encourage you to look them up so you friend won't think those side effects are something else to worry about with her cancer and will know it is the Decadron.

Be sure to let her know, that if she is dealing with brain mets, it is not likely she will die in months. Many women are sucessfully treated and as along as mets in the body are controlled she can expect some longevity. If she learns she has a brain met, visit www.brainmetsbc.org.

Stay strong...Darlene
05/12/08 HERCEPTIN EVERY 3 WKS
08/22/08 BRAIN METS! 8 <5MM
09/17/08 CYBERKNIFED BRAIN METS
10/20/08 BRAIN METS SHRINKING
12/29/08 BRAIN SCAN SHOWS 1 LESION GONE, 7 SHRINKING & STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT
01/16/09 LIVER REOCUR-XELODA/HERCEPTIN
03/02/09 BRAIN SCAN 2 LESIONS GONE, 5 STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT STILL A ?
3/27/09 REGRESSION OF 2 LIVER LESIONS XELODA & HERCEPTIN
06/08/09 STUPID BRAIN HAS 3 LESIONS
06/29/09 CYBERKNIFE
07/01/09 LIVER REGRESSION NO NEW METS
07/07/09 TYKERB XELODA HERCEPTIN
11/11/09 GEMZAR/HERCEPTIN FOR LIVER PROGRESSION
03/22/10 BRAIN MRI GOOD-3 SMALL NECROSIS LEFT FROM ORIG 11!!
03/26/10 CHANGE TO NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN 3 LIVER LESIONS PROGRESSING IN SIZE
05/21/10 NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN WORKING!
07/19/10 GOOD BRAIN MRI
08/20/10 LIVER PROGRESSION
09/08/10 TDM1 - NASHVILLE TN
01/10/11 LIVER RESPONDING TO TDM1
Darlene Denise is offline   Reply With Quote