Thread: lymphadema!
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
caya

Hi Michele,

Just saw your post... sorry the lymphedema is so bad for you. My lymphedema is mild, mostly contained to my right hand, and both my breast surgeon and the therapist at the lymphedema clinic at the hospital I go to for treatment think it will be completely reversible.

That being said, I did get referred to an RMT (registered massage therapist) who specializes in lymphedema massage. Here in Ontario the therapist has to take about 140 extra hours of instruction/practicum to get the lymphedema certification. I'm sure you could find a lymphedema massage expert in your area - it is well worth the money, you may even have health coverage for it. Sofia, my masseuse, told me to bring my hubby next time to learn the massages.

I have an appointment tomorrow at the Lymphedema Clinic at PMH (Princess Margaret Hospital, in Toronto) for another assessment and massage. I will ask the therapist if she knows of any other garments to wear to bed like the one you are describing.

all the best
Caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote