View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #16
DianneS

I posted about this issue on another thread about Herceptin side effects - sorry.

I live in Canada and ER/PR is rated either +1, +2 or +3, 1 being weak and 3 strong. I am ER+1 (weakly positive) and PR-, and her2 pos +++.

My onc started me on Arimidex aromatase inhibitor in June. I finished the taxotere/carboplatin in March and have had no other chemo except 5.5 rounds of that, plus Herceptin from the beginning along with the TC, and continue Herceptin until Oct.

I didn't really get good answers as to why I should be on the AI Arimidex. She just said 'it'd be a shame after having done so much' blah blah blah. I argued with her and reluctantly began taking it the first of July. I began to notice nausea that would come in waves, and loss of appetite. Since it began about the same time as when I started Arimidex I blame it on that. I was expecting bone/muscle pain, if anything, not nausea. I stopped the Arimidex and have not taken any since Saturday a.m. Nausea is better!

I would like to read more about taking AI's if one is HER2 pos+++ and weakly ER+. So far I am not convinced that it works that well for my diagnosis.

Karen, I feel like you do....lots of frustration and fear about this 5 year survival stuff. One of the first things my oncologist said to me regarding NOT doing the chemo route was 'I think you'll be sorry you didn't in about 5 years'. Yeah? Will I be sorry anyway? I find it hard to get thru the day sometimes, the sorrow of it all overwhelms me......and I am angry that this had to happen to me! If Herceptin is so wonderful, why only a 5 yr survival rate? Where are the 10 years out from her2 positive women?
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote