Thread: The Campfire
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #459
Bill

(Warning if any one might be queasy, don't read this) Ok, I gotta set the record straight on a few things. One, my food poisoning a few months ago wasn't from my cooking. I had hard-boiled a bunch of eggs and made some pickled eggs and a dozen or so just to eat now and then. Easter Sunday I was baking a ham and smoking/slow-roasting a turkey breast on the grill. I got hungry, so I grabbed a hard-boiled egg from the fridge, peeled it and took a big bite, chewed, and swallowed it. Hmmm, I says to myself, that egg tasted.....moldy.....I looked at it and the yolk had a green edge to it. Typically, I'm not a hasty person, so I paused to think it through.....when we were kids, we kept Easter eggs for a "long" time in our rooms in our baskets and peeled them and ate them whenever we felt like it.....this egg has been refridgerated, so that's better, right?.....alot of good eggs have a greenish shade to the yolk.....what if this egg is ok, but just tastes funny? I can't just throw it away.....I've already eaten half of it, if it's bad, it's too late, and the damage is done. I popped the second half of the egg in my mouth and ate it. Twelve hours later I realized that it really was a bad egg and I had food poisoning and I cursed that egg. I really am a good cook, Marie, it's just that nobody told me that they don't make eggs the way they used to and that they don't last as long. By God, I'll know next time.

Last edited by Bill; 07-05-2009 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: I'm sorta like a chef savant