View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
AlaskaAngel

As Jhandley mentoined, statins do affect Q10, and Q10 helps muscle tissue like the heart.

In regard to cholesterol -- there are several different cholesterol readings (HDL, LDL, and total cholesterol as well as triglycerides) all of which are measured for good reason. So you can't just go by one. Mjo, how did each of yours read?

My total cholesterol is above normal. But my HDL cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol) is very high (a very good thing) and my LDL cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol) is very, very low (a very good thing). My triglycerides are above normal.

So how does all this measure up in trying to understand whether I am in good shape or bad shape, or somewhere in-between? Does the above normal total cholesterol and above normal triglycerides mean I should take a statin regardless of the good readings of the other two cholesterols?

My NP and I decided to have the cardiac CRP done as a way of measuring the condition of the blood vessels, etc. to use to decide whether I should start a statin. Interestingly, it came back as "low risk", indicating a low level of inflammation. I have refused the statin medication.

I take fish oil daily as well as some walnuts, a very small amount of real butter, and I use olive oil. I eat low amounts of omega-6 sources, and lots of fruits and vegetables. These do help reduce inflammation.

My marker also remains moderately low, and I continue to be NED at 7 years out. I know exercise also helps.

I don't know if any of this helps, MJo, but you might consider asking to have the cardiac CRP done for you to see what it might tell you and your provider.

Here is some helpful info previously posted about CRP:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...&highlight=CRP
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote