View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
DianneS

AI's & Neck/Head Cancer

Hi all,

I just found the article I was looking for about head/neck cancer with anastrozole. The article is www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.rcgi?artid=2001222. Look under "Other adverse events" on page 8 of 11.

The article says 'a sprprisingly higher incidence of head and neck cancer with anastrozole compared with tamoxifen (10/3092 vs 3/3094, respectively). Similarly, there was an excess of lung cancer (25/3092 vs 16/3094) and lung cancer deaths with anastrozole; however, further analyses are required to confirm these findings. Of note, a higher incidence of secondary cancer was NOT noted in the IES (72 events exemestane vs. 107 tamoxifen) or in the BIG-1-98 trial (69 letrozole vs 82 tamoxifen)."

This is concerning to me. My onc lied to me yesterday saying 'it does not cause head or neck cancer'. She is flying in the face of what PubMed is saying and I don't think THEY lie! I just called her back and left a message on her answering machine with the article # for her to cogitate.

I don't like being a guinea pig. I already feel like that enough what with Herceptin and wondering if the new 'in' trend of using TCH will work. Yes I am angry and afraid! I am danged if I do and danged if I don't, but from the sound of the pain that AI's cause I think I'd be better off without it.

I like to hike and walk a lot. It's one of my few joys left in life. If I'm hurting too much from AI I can't do that either. Gets down to quality of life.

How many of you are either ER- or a weak positive and just decided NOT to take Tamoxifen or AI's? How many NED years are you?

Thanks, ladies........
Diannes
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote