View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Rich66

cancer stem cells: anyone talking about it?

Is anyone here talking to their oncs about CSCs and how it might direct their treatment?

I sent an e-mail to a researcher and thought I would share an excerpt with you folks.

I have collected a number of articles and abstracts that inform my thoughts/questions and have posted a number of them here:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38953
and
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39323

I am definitely interested in the recent Perifosine results and wonder if it is being used off-label for breast cancer.

Tranilast, available in Japan as seemingly safe anti-allergic, seems like it might have effects on CSCs. I see Nuon Inc has some trials for arthritis but nothing for cancers. Thoughts?

Is there any kind of list regarding currently available therapies that inhibit CSCs as opposed to aggravating them. One of my strongest concerns is how to proceed with currently available therapies without promoting CSC responses. Outside of trials, I am only aware of MAB agents with (presumed*) limited application such as Herceptin or Lapatinib that work this way.
Are there available agents that are thought to address the non-CSC population without aggravating CSCs?
I have read that CSCs are thought to be ER- and HER2 +. *Is there gathering momentum to the idea of treating most BC as such or at least to include components that address this baseline/underlying subset?

I have come across suggestion that Tamoxifen has an effect on ER- cells. Perhaps this could be useful in addressing CSCs as well as the tumor bulk in broadly ER+ tumors?

With the notion of the influence of mesenchymal stem cells being a part of the CSC equation, does that help explain the benefit of bisphosphonates such as Zoledronic acid alone or shortly after chemo?

Some have suggested external beam radiation post surgery has inherent limits in dosage which may prevent killing of CSCs. Is there any thought as to whether focused treatments like cyberknife deliver an adequate dose to CSCs? Similarly, has there been any investigation into Yttrium 90 (SIR spheres) or other brachytherapy approaches as to whether they deliver enough radiation to kill CSCs?

Finally, Is there an available serum test to monitor CSCs in patients?
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote