View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
Tom

Curcumin Dosages

Dear Brenda,

I apologize for not putting the dosage info in my earlier posts, as I had trouble searching my notes for those details. I believe I was giving my Mom 900mg 3X/day of what was then called Life Extension's Super Curcumin. I was simply adding it to her various foods. Today Life Extension has what seems to be a new product of 800mg that is supposedly much more bioavailable, so you may not need to take as much. When it came to curcumin, I always thought that more was better.

There were questions in the past concerning whether or not to take it during various treatment courses as it is a powerful anti-oxidant, and some treatments work by creating huge amounts of free radicals.

Later research I found, showed that it was not only OK to take during radiation therapy, but was potentially radiosensitizing malignant cells, thereby making the treatment more effective. I can only say that I gave it to Mom before, during, and after her radiotherapy and Herceptin courses.

I suggest you search this website for posts by "Al of Canada" (hope you are well Al) as he was quite involved with the curcumin issue at the time and is a very knowledgeable member.

I do not know how much curcumin my friend's brother with melanoma was taking. I believe his wife and family were quite skeptical about such things early on in his treatment, perhaps because his wife is a physician. I suspect that as the situation became more desperate for him, they explored different options. I can't criticize them, as I was once the world's biggest skeptic of alternative cancer therapies, but saw the light after doing hundreds of hours of reading traditional scientific abstracts on the subject.

Let me not end without first saying again as I always have, that I never underestimated the power of prayer through all of it. I fully believe in my heart that prayer helps not only the patient, but the patient's loved ones as well. I have experienced the raw power of group prayer as well. I don't think it is any coincidence that these plant substances have been placed on Earth, as well as the ever curious minds of researchers and lay people alike.

Sincerely,
Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote