View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
rl2

Given the fact that what we feed our animals makes our consumption of them unhealthy (although I know people who buy direct from organic producers)(and this does not even get to the question of the conditions of production), and the fact that we can't be sure of the toxins in our fish, I've made a choice for myself to try to eat an organic, plant based diet. Historically Eskimos, etc. were able to eat a fish-based diet (and others meat based, though not farm produced meats), but we can't compare the fish most people can get at their local market or fishmonger with the quality that Eskimos were able to get in the past (and who knows what the quality of what they can catch is now - I have been to villages above the arctic circle - and they are now eating the same junk as the rest of us).

I am aware of the necessities for Omega 3s and why important in breast cancer (though have not read your book, but others), but I think the food/disease link, if there is one, is larger than the Omega 3/6/9 issue. I think its important to think of a bigger picture also on the question of what to eat and not just focus on the issue of fatty acids and take into account the quality of all foods, including ones that provide Omega 3s and where they comes from.

This is a big topic and admittedly difficult, and like a lot of others with this disease who have tried to sort it out, I have found that the questions just keep getting bigger. I also think its matters what kind of plants one eats and their source also.