View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
jml

Hi Missy~
Thanks for including your dx/tx history. It helps us understand your journey a little better & hopefully offer more insightful suggestions & advice.
With a single liver lesion that responded previously to chemo, I think surgical intervention at this point would be premature. Give the chemo a chance to do its job. And in the meantime, you could research the top surg oncs in your area that specialize in hepatectomies.
I'm surprised & disappointed that your onc is "dead set against" a resection. What are his/her reasons? I hope you are able to find a clinical onc + surgical onc that are willing to work collaboratively & cooperatively in your best interest.
After my 1st recurrence, I went back on/off chemo for a year, beating back the lesion to NED. It would resolve, I'd stop chemo, then it would pop back up.
My surgical onc followed my progress closely with my clinical onc. It wasn't until he felt confident that the chemo was simply not going to do the trick AND that there was only a single lesion in the R lobe, that is was worth the risk/benefit of a surgery as invasive as a liver resection.
Most importantly, this was a decision we made together - clinical onc, surgical onc, me and my family. It's important that everyone's on the same page, with a realistic understanding & common goal.
I hope first & foremost that the Navelbine + Herceptin will do the trick for you.Keep us posted, ok?

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote