View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
Rich66

I'm typing from onc office computer.
Mom is still feeling well. I sense there has been more coughing lately but it's a complicated situation with both emphysema and lung mets.
Mom just had labs then chest/ab scans. Fortunately, I asked about the Her2 serum test, thinking I would nudge them to exepedite sendout to California (We're in WI). Well...apparently it was in the orders but wasn't being sent out. Someone missed the order. Another instance backing up vigilance which sometimes is interpreted as paranoia. At least today, the lab tech thanked me for asking them about it. Sure wish it wasn't necessary. HER2 serum might not be back in time for Monday's appointment with onc. We'll see. I haven't been a fan of the Herceptin monotherapy approach but the onc seems to want to gauge things that way, at least to start. If scans show progression, my thought is the serum test, if levels drop >20%, might still suggest benefit of continuing Herceptin. Seems like the new info suggests continuing H after progression anyway. or..switch to Tykerb or H+T. Onc said (via nurses) that scans will dictate next steps, not Her2 ELISA. So...why are we doing it? Ah..always full of questions. Do you folks ever wonder what really goes on in oncs heads?
FWIW, went with my Dad to his cardiologist yesterday. He went through the lengthy list of problems he has and told him he's surprised he's still alive. Basically told him not to expect much in the way of recovery at his age after extended hospital stay. Not sure this is too helpful. Watched my Dad's eyes well up as he was secured in the medical transport van. Dunno...how about a different approach commending him on pulling through and encouraging him to strive for the moon? I guess some lean towards the ole glass half-empty approach. That mentality is why I camped out in the hospital for weeks like a medi-cop. But I digress..
(sigh)
Hey, I look forward to news on Rose's project! More warriors to the front line please
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote