View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
DLL

Thanks, Jacqueline! I followed your advice, and I am going in for a baseline bone density DexaScan today. I met with my oncologist yesterday to discuss the ooph vs. Lupron routes, and she encouraged the ooph route, particularly with the (laparoscopic) ooph being just a quick day surgery and given that I have no need for my ovaries. She thought the side effects from stopping estrogen via the ooph are a bit easier to control than the side effects of Lupron.

Did any of you who had an oophorectomy (but left the uterus) have any irregular bleeding after you recovered? I have a friend who is a gyno surgeon (who practices in a different part of the country, so I can't use her) who mentioned that irregular bleading can be a consequence of having the ovaries out without also taking the uterus or at least doing endometrial ablation. My gyn surgeon is willing to take out the uterus, also, which would double the recovery time from 3/4 days to a week. But I've got a disabled child to take care of, so I like the shorter recovery time (and, yes, less extensive surgery.) Advice appreciated!!

(PS, I went to the hystersister site to research this, but got scared away by all the horror stories. I'm hoping that all those who had good experiences with oophs or hysts just don't have any need to post there...)
Lumpectomy & SNB August 2008
Stage 1b: 1.1 cm; clear margins; 0 nodes
ER+/PR+/HER2+
BRAC 1 & 2 negative
TCH 6 cycles 9-08 to 1-09
Herceptin continuing to 9-09
Radiation completed 2-09
Oophorectomy 4-09

DLL is offline   Reply With Quote