View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
Gina

Exclamation Rather than mega-dosing on Vitamin D, try balancing your Vitamin A and Zinc

Hey, folks,

Have to smile about all the latest "hype" about Vitamin D--most of us OLD timers on this board have been taking it for years...but I just want to emphasize that the body is an entire bio-system and you may find that your blood levels of vitamin D get back to normal more quickly if you simply balance your intake of A with D--thereby having to take LESS D which is easier on the liver and kidneys, and possibly even more effective, faster. Also, remember that Vitamin A works best with adequate levels of zinc...for those of you who laughed about the Zinc oxide on the feet remedies of old...think again...smile.

Also, remember despite what the media says..ingest less synthetic calcium and MORE magnesium if you are her-2 positive...because no matter how much "mega dosing of calcium" you ingest, the body will only absorb an amount equal the balance of magnesium in your system--google it under Magnesium- Calcium homeostasis. Here again, mega dosing does little more than overtax other bio-systems...and in the case of her-2 folks...I always say "LESS IS MORE" as your body is stressed enough with her-2 mediated disease and constant herceptin and/or other treatments...

Her-2 gals are notorious for being low on magnesium...no need to take my word for it...check your own platelets...if they are under 300 possible mag deficit...not sleeping??, another possible mag deficit, craving chocolate??? cocoa is magnesium rich --your body is screaming for magnesium....constipated??? DEFINITE mag deficit...and you always wondered why they called it MILK of MAGNESIUM...smile... Why are epsom salts often prescribed in a warm bath before bedtime to induce a deep slumber??? Epsom salts are simply Magnesium sulfate??? Struggle with high blood pressure??? increase intake of magnesium rich foods.

Sorry, but I just had to add my two cents here--I have been seeing these recent posts and worrying that since Vitamin D, like Vitamin A, is oil soluable and can be damaging to the liver, I just didn't want folks to over do either.

Also, Steph, I had my Vitamin A and D levels measured back in 1999 just before starting Hercepin when I was first dx with the liver mets and both levels were horribly low...I think one Vitamin D at that time was 17. Also, note, that a true Vitamin A blood draw has to be done in a darkened room so as not to disintegrate the level in the special tube to give a true reading...that was a experience...when I asked the tech how was he going to hit the vein...he said...by feeling it...smile...he hit it just fine...although I swear...smile..I couldn't see a thing.

One reason I had my vitamin D levels checked was that for 10 years before I got cancer, I was one of the first folks to work in the at that time new underground S. Dillon Ripley Center of the Smithsonian. 4 of us who worked 3 floors under within the same department got cancer within months of each other. To my knowledge, I am the only one still living, but the underground work seemed to stand out as really the only risk factor for me and I find it even more interesting in light, pardon the pun, smile...of Lani's recent posting on the possible connection between her-2 and circadian rhythm genes. Very interesting... I wish we knew more.

Best of luck to all,
Gina
gpopp@Comcast.net
Original BC Dx 1997
Her-2 +++, ER- PR-
Herceptin only since 1999 Stage IV mets--6mg/kg every 3 weeks.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote