Thread: Hi Guys
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Debbie L.

brain mets

While it's true that brain mets are more common in HER2+ cancer, it's also true that they are very unlikely to be the first place of mets after primary breast cancer. If they happen, they typically happen to someone who's already been diagnosed as stage IV with mets somewhere else, and then they show up in the brain. That's where all the stats about the increased likehood of brain mets come from. So your odds of having brain mets as first site of recurrence are extremely small (but it does rarely happen). If that helps any.

Are your headaches getting worse? If they are, that would be a good thing to emphasize to your providers, and might be enough of an up-the-ante to get the okay for an MRI.

I think an MRI is considered the best tool for brain assessment. PET's don't get the tiny stuff, which is what you want to be able to see in the brain. CT's are sometimes used but if something is seen they end up doing an MRI anyway. At least that's what I was told.

What about making an appointment to discuss this in person with your onc? I assume that after 3 years, you have a relationship established. (Once we get them "trained", it's a shame to give up on all that effort).

Good luck,
Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote