View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
alicem

I have had my eyes opened to the health care system since my diagnosis in September, and I agree that it is broken and needs fixing. That being said, what is about to happen in congress is not the way to go about it. We live in a Democratic country - By the People, For the People, and Of the People. The last time I checked we have a constitution that guides our country. What is happening right now is an attempt to circumvent the checks and balances.

The stimulus bill would include legislature for healthcare reform which basically would impose those programs without the benefit of Congressional hearings or laws or debate of any kind.

The following is an editorial by Ed Koch, former DEMOCRATIC mayor of New York. If you scroll down to the last third of the article, you will find where he talks about what his own party is trying to do and he describes it with words like Tyranny and Stealth.

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtri...0097_02_03.asp

On a lighter note, for anyone interested, the photos of the "Flat Stomach Rule" off to the side are NOT photos of me, but they could be. They pretty accurately depict my results after my DIEP reconstruction 8 weeks ago with Dr. Spiegel in Houston. Needless to say, it is the bright spot in all that has happened to me in the last 5 months.

Finally, here is the link to the other article that Snufi referred to in the first post:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aLzfDxfbwhzs

I think one thing we can all agree on is that a topic as important as Health Care Reform deserves the right to be debated in the light of day, not cubby holed into an enormous document and "rushed" through before the American people even knows what happened.
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote