View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Debbie L.

thanks, Bill

Bill, I hear you (I think) and I respect your opinion. Those of us who have benefited from our healthcare system of course tend to think well of it (me included).

But more and more lately, I am hearing from families who do not get even the most basic treatment for breast cancer, because cost is a factor. I'm sure it's the same for other cancers, and other chronic and life-threatening conditions. Sometimes it's not just the cost of the treatment itself, although that's usually the case. Sometimes it's the cost of time lost from a low-paying job without benefits (not even sick leave) - a job that means the difference between homelessness and a roof over the family's head. Just because someone has a low-paying job does not mean that they lack pride and honor, nor that they do not resist quitting their job so as to avail themselves of government assistance, such as it is. Sometimes it's the travel cost, from a rural home to a distant treatment center. Sometimes, it's end-of-life care that requires out-of-pocket expenses for help in the home that is far beyond the ability of many to pay for. This situation is not fair. It's not equitable. It feels wrong.

I say again that I do not like it that we have to make these hard decisions, between extremely costly treatments that may prolong life by days or weeks, and basic services for all. But I'm afraid that it's going to be the reality. I do not see how it cannot be the reality, unless we completely abandon the poor and the uninsured (a group that is growing in number, by the minute).

I realize that it's much easier to address this difficult issue in the abstract than it is in the personal and individual. I'm not saying that these are easy decisions. I am not saying these things to provoke or upset people, but to get us all thinking about hard things. A few years ago, I might have been more in agreement with what you say, Bill. But each soul that I've met since diagnosis who has bravely tried to make it through despite the financial mazes and hardships that they've had to endure has whittled away at my heart. It's not that I've hardened my heart to those who are desperate for that last-ditch chance. Not at all. It's that logic and common sense tell me that we have hard choices to make. If asked, I'm going to make that choice in favor of the one that benefits the most souls.

Respectfully,
Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote