View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
Debbie L.

Michka, I'm glad that you are (mostly) OK but sorry to hear about your ordeal. It will take awhile to get those red blood cells back to normal levels, plus you're recovering from surgery so I hope that you'll be patient with yourself while you heal and your energy returns. I know it's easy to say that and hard to do sometimes. But your energy WILL return.

I looked around a bit to see what I could find about your comment that you were worried about the consequences of the transfusion, related to recurrence. I did find a few studies and discussions that talked about increased mortality, but not about recurrence. And not all even found increased mortality. The ones that did all said that (duh) they suspected the increased mortality had nothing to do with receiving the blood itself but rather with the REASON for needing the blood. So you're over that hurdle (the hemorrhage is no longer a threat).

I'm curious about the amount of blood that you received. You said 2 liters which in the US would usually be about four bags (units) of whole blood. That sounds like a lot but in medical language would probably not be considered a massive transfusion. Massive would be for example, a nasty car accident with long surgery where someone's entire circulating volume would be replaced many times.

Also, you left out the part about going back to surgery. They must have taken you back to control the hemorrhage, right? What did they find as the source of the bleeding?

How is the arm pain?

Love and healing thoughts,
Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote