View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
Unregistered

swimangel, I am also grade 1, stage 1, Her2+, and ER+/PR+. My onc was suprised too. We tested three times, all came back positive by FISH but equivocal by IHC (2+). My grade was 1 as I mentioned and KI-67 only 9%, so looked slow growing. My ER and PR were also over 90%. My tumor was 5mm - small like yours. They never found more tumor at mast so I guess was all taken out by biopsy. With small tumor and nodes negative, onc kept saying grade 1, small tumor, no nodes does not look like Her2+, but it sure changed my treatment and prognosis. Instead of 2% chance of spreading, she then said 10-15% ("but I am probably overestimating" she said). So I went ahead and did 6-TCH with herceptin. She also said that they aren't even sure that they are testing for the right thing so I read that as she is not positive that my tumor is Her2+ but I couldn't take the chance since I have three small kids. I finished up chemo about two months ago and just started up tamoxifen. So far so good.

What did your onc say about prognosis? Someone posted this interesting study from CA on breastcancer.org that really shows that not all Her2 is alike. So maybe we are really her2+ but just a different variety.
http://www.asco.org/ASCO/Abstracts+%...stractID=40116

I feel very relieved that I did the chemo even though I am not happy about the chemopause and what an extra ten years of menopause may do to my heart and bones. Onc says tamox will help bones, and then again I may start menstruating again. It is all very confusing.