View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
Sherryg683

The remarks that I have gotten that irritate me the most are "all you have to do is remain positive" and "you must have faith that you will be healed". I actually had one woman at church tell me that if I didn't have enough faith, God couldn't heal me." I use to nod and agree, now I've started saying, "so if I don't beat this, it's my fault for not being positive enough or having enough faith in God". Sorry, it doesn't work that way..sure being positive and having faith will help you through your battle...but it's not a cure. I've seen too many faith filled, positive people die from it. The next thing that bothers me is that most people don't seem to think breast cancer is serious. I've heard all about Aunt Mathilda and Grandma Mable that had breast cancer 20 years ago and is still doing fine. I then feel I have to explain the different stages and that all breast cancer is not the same. The "we all could get hit by a bus "remark is also one that sets me on fire. My usual reply is "if someone told you that you had an 80 percent chance of that bus hitting you, how would you feel". Sort of puts it into perspective for them. It's always just easier to say "fine" also. Every now and then I will find someone who is really sincere in wanting to find out about what I'm going and been through, but most of the time I feel people are just trying to make small talk and don't really know what to say..sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote