View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Debbie L.

always the questioning one - 'can't help myself

Joe, I think that I need to hear more about what you have in mind before being able to respond.

What exactly would be the role of a member advisory board? What issues/topics would they advise on?

It seems to me that this website is doing well as it is. It seems to me that when there are questions, asking the general membership elicits good, wise, and representative responses.

I have some concerns about the potential for cliques and elite groups, when there is an advisory board. Anytime there is that perception (of cliques or elite groups), that limits the likelihood of participation from new and/or shy members. I worry about the shy and the quiet people. The rest of us - the assertive and the noisy, can take care of ourselves regardless (laughing wryly). I know that the intent of this message board is to be welcoming to all. I'd hate to see anything impair that welcoming spirit.

It seems to me that it's the strength and the nature of internet groups to be without much hierarchy. I worry that an advisory board could impose layers of hierarchy that would discourage participation. I do not question the motives of you nor of any potential board members - not at all. But my preference would be to continue as-is. Each contribution to the message board carrying equal weight. Each person's place equal. I have great faith in the ability of humans to be ultimately fair, wise, and loving.

Maybe you could look at this separately. One - the internet support group, without censure or moderation, as an ongoing and self-creating entity. Two - the HER2 patient board - advising on policy and interactions with research and commercial interests? I'd be fine with that.

Thoughtfully and respectfully, with great appreciation for all you do and all that we receive from this board,

Debbie Laxague
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote