Thread: help help help
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Laurel

Snufi,

My lst round of chemo was with dose dense AC. I had a severe migraine for 5 days. Later my onc. told me it was caused by the long acting anti-nausea med, Aloxi. She told me it would probably not occur a second time as my body would become desensitized to it. That is what did happen although it took until the third dose for me to fully tolerate it comfortably. On the positive side, I never experienced nausea or vomiting with my chemo. I was given an additional med called Emend taken orally for 3 days post chemo with the AC's also for nausea. I share this in case you are experiencing nausea.

When I hit my final 4 rounds with the Taxol and Herceptin I experienced the "bone" pain. It really isn't bone pain, but nerve pain. Taxol is wicked on our nerves. My onc. prescribed Percocet and suggested taking it every six hours for 3-4 days post-chemo. I tried less potent pain meds without relief, so after the lst 2 rounds I did finally take more of the Percocet. I never took as much as she suggested. When taken before the onset of the nerve pain and continued regularly for a day or two you can manage to keep the discomfort under control. My nerve pain began approx. 36 hours post infusion, so I began my pain meds about 30 hours after the infusions. I also took Ativan 1 mg. every night for a week after each infusion. Without it I absolutely could not sleep.

The pain and stiffness in our legs and feet seem to be nerve related. I still have numbness in my feet, but this should subside within a year to a year and a half.

Chemo really is miserable and I thought it totally sucked. Try to remember it is your best option. I cried with my lst round and wondered how I would ever make it through the next seven. I was not certain I could do it, but even with that fear nagging at me, I knew deep down I'd tough it out. I wanted to live, and so do you. Hang in there, Snufi. Chemo really is awful, and you really are very brave. It takes real guts to get knocked on your butt for a week, climb back up to your feet, and toe up to that line to be infused with that poison again. Guts. I'm tellin' ya, guts. You'll do this somehow. I know you will.

I will pray you have rest, freedom from pain, and peace.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote