Thread: help help help
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
freyja

Help

Everyone's response is different, but your symptoms sound like many I've had or heard of people having before. These things do happen. One thing that helped me through muscle problems and mouth sores was L-Glutamine powder dissolved in water and drank. Ask your doctor or nurses about it. Also, what are they giving you as premeds with the chemo. There are many different kinds that should help prevent many of the side effects. Benedryl, Dexamethasone (steroid), I can't find my notes so I'm not sure they're spelled right and I don't remember the exact names of others...I'll let you know later, or others will, too. Also, some people have allergic reactions to the premeds. They should try different combinations until you find what works for you. Ativan is a wonderful anti-nausia pill. Compazine is another.
I'm on my way to my herceptin appt. but I'll check in later and try to think of more ideas for you. Talk with your nurses. They often have a lot of knowledge about these things and can help you, and they're often more available than doctors.
love, Celeste

"Dancers Against Cancer" in the Eugene, OR Komen Race for the Cure 2010
Diagnosed 8/7/08 with stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, micropapillary pattern, Her2 3+, ER+,PR-, grade II, positive lymph nodes.
Received 6doses of Taxotere, Carboplatin with Herceptin continuing for a year...DONE.
1/28/09 Left Modified Radical Mastectomy, Right Simple Mastectomy.
Surgery pathology: No invasive carcinoma present and 17 lymph nodes removed all negative! Only small amount of carcinoma in situ in left breast.
March/April '09, Radiation to left chest wall.
Currently involved in Neratinib clinical trial.

"Well being I won
and wisdom too,
I grew and joyed in my growth;
from a word to a word
I was led to a word
from a deed to another deed." (Odin)

freyja is offline   Reply With Quote