View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #32
TriciaK

Celeste, I am probably the oldest warrior on this website at 79! I had a double mastectomy in 1985. You may have already read my story but in case you haven't I'll repeat it briefly, to let you know there is always hope! The 1985 cancer was small and only in my right breast, but I opted for a complete mastectomy because my younger sister had just died from BC and she had advised me earlier to get a bilateral mastectomy since her cancer had spread to both breasts. I had implants too, the old silicone kind, which I do not recommend. The left side has been okay but the right side has always been mishapen and has leaked. The cancer rerturned in 1990, to two vertabras my spine. I got over that, too, and was cancer free for 15 years. Then in 2004 I had a heart attack that saved my life because it brought to light her2 cancer in my lungs. The oncologist said If it hadn't been found I would have had less than 3 or 4 months. I went on herceptin and navelbene for 6 months, then herceptin and femara for 9 more. I am still on the femara and probably always will be. I have been cancer free for over 4 years now. My heart goes out to you for all you are facing, but I want you to know you can do it and it will make you stronger. There are many real warriors on this website who will help you along the way with prayers and caring and information. I wish I had known such wonderful help when I was younger and going through the first cancers. I am so grateful for all the caring and help along the way this time around. Stay strong and learn all you can so you can fight this insidious monster BC. Someone told me to remember that cancer cells are sickly and misshapen and when you fight them with the power of chemo and a strong, positive outlook, you will win. Ratchet up your faith in every way you can, because Fear and Faith cannot co-exist. Come here often and let us all share your burden. There is so much strength and wisdom to be found here. Let God bless you and help you to overcome fear and stay strong. We will be thinking of you on the 21st and praying for you. Let us know how things go for you. Hugs, TriciaK
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote