View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Debbie L.

maybe it depends on the dose?

I'm pretty sure that in 2001, the l-glutamine dose that was recommended was 5 grams ('can't recall if that was daily or twice daily). I remember taking many many capsules of 500mg l-glutamine - so many that a chemo buddy got impatient and gave me hers so she could buy the powder and drink it in juice. And we were taking a dose at the lower end of the ranges we'd seen in a few studies (there was very little evidence either way). The studies we saw were with prostate cancer.

Anecdotally, I had very little neuropathy and my chemo buddy who was taking the same dose of l-glutamine had rather severe neuropathy that did mostly resolve over about 6 months. Also of note, she was put on a prophylactic antibiotic with each chemo cycle, after running a fever with her first chemo cycle. The antibiotic was Cipro. As we were finishing chemo, there was the anthrax stuff going on, and after that there were stories of increased reports of neuropathy from Cipro (given for possible anthrax exposure). So who knows.

If I read this study correctly, they used only 1500mg (1.5Gms)/day.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote