Thread: Chemo
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
BonnieR

Hi Snufi, welcome to the club. (That nobody wants to belong to!) I had the same chemo. It was not "horrible". But certainly challenging sometimes. The worst part was the anticipation. In terms of side effects, I never had nausea but did lose my appetite. (It is a good idea to have quick and easy to prepare foods in the house. High protein things. Cheese, soups, Ensure beverages.) Tired. Bone pain that started a few days after the infusion and lasted a few days. Some neuropathy. For that my onc recommended that I drink Glutamine, an amino acid powder that you get in heath food stores. Ask about it.
I lost most all my hair, but gradually.
The treatments make for a long day. Bring something to pass the time. Reading, journal, iPod. It is always COLD in the treatment room too. Dress warm and very comfortable. My center provided sandwich lunches. Otherwise bring a snack and water.
I am sure you have lots more questions. I just wanted to get you started. We have all gotten through chemo and you will to.Sometimes I can hardly believe it all happened. But it is behind me. Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote