View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
Hopeful

I was dxed in June 2006 with 1.3 cm IDC w/DCIS component, 80% ER+, 50% PR+, Her2+++ node negative bc. My path report also showed a Ki-67 of 11%, which was "borderline" for positive. Based on my research, I decided against chemotherapy, being highly hormonally positive and with a low Ki-67. Fortunately, I was able to find an oncologist in private practice willing to treat me with one year of Herceptin without chemo. I did radiation tx while on Herceptin, and have been on an AI (going back and forth between Arimidex and Femara) since Oct. 2006. It was extremely important to me to keep my immune system intact, which would not have been possible with chemotherapy. Everyone has to decide what is best for them, based on what is most important to them. As you can read here, a lot of people are not comfortable leaving any stone unturned for treatment; in fact, this is a very common psychological mindset. Just realize that having chemotherapy is not a guarantee of no recurrence. The bottom line is, you do what lets you sleep best at night. Best of luck with whatever treatment plan you go with.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote