View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Louise O'Brien

Snufi:

I was in the same boat you were in two years ago. Small tumour - 1 1/2 cm., stage one, clear margins after a mastectomy and no lymph or sentinel node involvement. I thought that should take care of it and was shocked - and devastated- when the oncologist told me I was Her2 positive (I had never heard of it before) and recommended chemo plus Herceptin. Especially chemo.

I was so close to walking away from it but after a few weeks decided to hit whatever might be left - if there was anything - with everything possible.

Now, two years later I'm so thankful I did. The more research I did and the more I learned about Her2 positive tumours - and the role Herceptin plays - the more convinced I was that I made the right decision. Even chemo - after learning about the synergy between some chemo drugs & Herceptin.

I should add that I was 67 when I started treatment - all the more reason to have concerns about my ability to withstand that kind of onslaught. I got through it and today have no residual side-effects.

That was my decision. I just didn't want to turn my back on treatment only to experience a recurrence years later asking myself "what if.... "
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote