View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Louise O'Brien

Del:

I see you're from Ontario. If you're anywhere close to Toronto, you have access to some very skilled plastic surgeons should you decide on the latest surgery - the DIEP flap, which takes tissue from the abdomen but does not cut into the muscle. Recovery is said to be quicker.

I'm six weeks out from having a DIEP flap and I'm doing really well. I'm not in pain but I'm still uncomfortable around the abdominal area - the swelling has gone down a great deal but it feels like I'm carrying a small, hard, rubber tire down there. It's not noticeable and my stomach is certainly flatter. Last weekend I took out a pair of pants that were too tight on me last year - and they fit beautifully.

I had no intention of having any reconstruction surgery. I just kept appointments with two surgeons because I was curious. The first one only did the tram flap but I didn't like him - and I walked out convinced that operation wasn't for me - and he certainly wasn't the doctor for me . However he referred me to another surgeon who specialized in Diep flaps so I kept that appointment, again just out of curiosity.

I went armed with a list of questions about all the options from implants to more extensive surgery. He spent two hours with my husband and I, patiently going over everything and not trying to talk me into any procedure. In the end, because I was so impressed by his quiet, thoughtful and professional manner and the time he took with us, I committed to Diep surgery.

That's the first thing you might want to consider - a consultative appointment without any obligations. There are some excellent surgeons at Princess Margaret hospital.

I'd say there are a few things you need to consider before making a decision as the surgery does involve at least six weeks recovery:

1) Your body type. If you small and slight, a Diep flap might not be the right option for you as they need a decent chunk of tissue.

2) Any good surgeon will tell you that not all Diep flaps "take" i.e. connecting blood vessels is tricky work. They have to tell you that. Most of the procedures work and you certainly need an experienced surgeon but you need to know there is a risk involved.

3) Is there someone who can carry a good part of the load for you for a few weeks after you get home i.e. cooking, looking after the kids, doing laundry, cleaning the house etc.

Because you won't feel up to it - and your rest is important. You're recovering from major surgery and a heck of a long time under anaesthetic. You're also recovering from abdominal surgery and that is initially painful. I had very little pain around the reconstruction site despite the stitches. It's the stomach area that requires the recovery time. I am still wearing an abdominal binder and I'll have a few physio sessions next month to help strengthen those muscles.

I was not supposed to drive a car for several weeks or lift anything over five pounds.

In four months I'll go back for a reduction and lift on the good side and I can hardly wait because the left side looks so good now. I'm a B cup now and I can hardly wait until the summer when I can wear a tank top.

The morning of my operation, I put all the special bras and prothesis in a special bag and I'll donate them to the cancer society. It was so good to know I wouldn't have to wear them again.

So - in a nutshell - it's major surgery and you have to know recovery time is involved. But I'm really happy with the results so far. It was the right decision for me but I did a lot of research beforehand.

Think about a consultative appointment; write all your questions down and bring your husband or a friend with you because they'll remember what you've forgotten. That will really help you with your decision.

Edited to add:

I don't think OHIP covers silicone implants - just saline. That's what I was told last year anyway - I don't know if it has changed since.
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote