View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Ruth

Hi Del - I too was 36 with 3 small children (one was 9 months old) when I was diagnosed. I also had a MRM and radiation. Did you have radiation? I waited about two years and then went in for silicone implant. I knew I was high risk because of the radiation but it ended up working for me. I think impants are the easiest on the body but the fills are what takes the longest. The surgery is outpatient and I was in discomfort for about a week afterwards.
I got frustrated with swimming, finding cute tank tops and dresses when I had my prostesis. I know everyone's opinion is different about it so I want to say this is only my opinion about myself! :-) I was nursing my youngest when diagnosed and my remaining breast shrivelled down to a minus zero I think! Even the smallest protesis was bigger than my breast so I had to pad my left breast to match. I just got tired of all the work I guess. Now I can go braless, wear spaghetti straps and buy any swimsuit I want! It makes me feel better about myself and that is really what the key is. I don't think anything is a waste of time if it makes you feel better about yourself! I also didn't buy stuff for a while because I worried I wouldn't get to use it. It's hard but weigh the pro's and con's. Thinking of you! Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote