View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
Jean

Paris,
I truly and deeply understand your concern.
When I was dx. 05, small tumor 6MM after biopsey 3MM
left to be removed during lumpectomy. I was very upset to be told that the standard of treatment was lumpectomy, followed by radiaiton, and since I was er postiive....an AI...it was a long difficult battle. I did loads of research and there was very little if anything out there to arm myself with...just bits and pieces ...maybe this will help ease your mind.

When I saw Dr. Slamon he was 100% for all HER2 women to have hercpetin. That study you read is just not current. We are the new generation to learn from. Early stage Her2 women were not having Herceptin.
Especially those with small tumors. The dr. are just finding out now that size does not mean the tumor is not aggressive. Silly when you think about it! I thought of it in this way, a small bomb, a medium size bomb, a large bomb, heck they will all kill a person who has the bomb in their hand, right. Yet all the dr. I saw went by the standard protocol and would not advise chemo/herceptin. They were not researchers like Dr. Slamon...they were all great dr. in their own right, but would not go outside the box.
Well, back to Dr. Slamon, as he said to me I probably saved my life.

Remember the stats are not in yet for those of us who are early stagers who have received herceptin. I believe the future will show a big difference that the odds are changing and is now in our favor.

Paris, do not stress as I am certain we will be hearing great news with the numbers as now herceptin has been approved for all early stage women. Just think about it....the numbers have to raise. Prior to herceptin Her2 was pretty dismal.... the new treatment has changed all of that. We are making great strides against Her2 bc..I was so elated when the FDA approved the use of herceptin.

Paris, you have done everything possible, while that does not offer you a guarentee regarding recurrence or anything else for that matter in life. It is normal to have
some setbacks along the way, especially when reading that type of information. But also note that study is not an ideal trial study.

Sending you peaceful thoughts,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 12-16-2008 at 09:21 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote