View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #13
Missyw

Vaccine info.

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to hear the vaccine trials are still going on. I participated in the phase II peptide trial from January 07-June 07. I was stage IV, but NED at the time. NED status was required for my trial. There were a number of other criteria, including being no more than six months from starting Herceptin alone. It was a scramble to qualify in time, but my onc. and everyone in Seattle did a great job getting me in with 5 days to spare. Doreen, Becks and all of the folks in Seattle were completely amazing. I was on my own (since my husband was needed to stay home with the kids) in a city a million miles away from the my home in the "other Washington" (D.C.) but after that first visit I never felt alone. Expenses were a bit rough. You are responsible for all of your travel costs. However, I was able to secure two plane tickets from Southwest Airlines and one from Continental Airlines. Both of these airlines have a humanitarian medical treatment program that folks like us can qualify for. Super low cost internet fares were another break, but keep in mind I did most of my traveling in the winter months. The best break I received was through the American Cancer Society. They have a program that allows cancer patients seeking treament to qualify for low cost or no cost hotel rooms in their treatment city. Five out of my seven visits included free hotel rooms. You cannot choose your hotel, but they were extraordinarily nice hotels. The only glitch is getting transportation to and from the hospital, hotel, airport etc. It can be super costly to take taxis. However, once I got the hang of it, the bus system in Seattle is great and folks were so friendly and helpful. All in all I can't say enough about my Seattle experience. I even met a fabulous fellow vacciner: shout out to Karina!! I don't know if it is the reason I am still NED today, but I believe it has helped me tremendously. I know when I got on that plane for the very first visit, I was completely drained and without hope. We all know the devastation of hoplessness. I left there believing I had a chance. Is there a greater gift?
Missyw is offline   Reply With Quote