View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
dlaxague

lump not required, as far as I know

Hi AA,

I, too was wondering where you were going with this. I can't respond to your poll either because it doesn't apply to my situation.

My sense is that most of us on this list are not brand new to breast cancer diagnosis, so you will not be getting current practice information anyway. Someone recently told me that breastcancer.org has lots of forums on many specific topics - perhaps that would be a place to look for input on current practice standards.

But I do know that both DCIS and lobular cancer can present without a palpable or distinct lump. I'd even wager that most DCIS is found when they see calcifications rather than distinct lumps. But I don't know know much about this so don't count my opinion for much. I think that they are able to tell (sometimes) which are okay calcifications and which are suspicious.

Now that we have so many more imaging options after diagnostic mammography or U/S, I'm not sure if there is a standard of care regarding how to proceed and where the biopsy enters the picture. I'll be curious to hear what others have to say.

Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote