View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #29
Becky

I want to add my two cents here at the juncture of this discussion. I got Herceptin but I did not get it until 4 months after chemo was over (2 months after rads) due to it just not being available yet (as the trial was just concluding). When rads ended, hormonal therapy begins. I was premenopausal, ER+ only and only 50%, and Her2+. All my research pointed to the fact that Tamoxifen can actually fuel that kind of pathology so, until I had my ooph, I didn't want to take Tamoxifen alone. Although since that time I switched oncs, my onc at the time was frantic about "not doing anything". He practically begged me so I took Tamoxifen for exactly 2 months, started Herceptin and got my ooph and started Arimidex (you have to be off Tamoxifen about 3 weeks if having surgery - probably to reduce the chance of blood clots so I really didn't see the point of being on it for just 2 months anyway as it probably did nothing one way or the other).

If AIs weren't available, I think I would have not taken Tamoxifen as I would have been too afraid to do so as I think unless you are at least ER+ and PR+ it can fuel cancer or at least ignite Her2s action.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote