View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #22
Unregistered

Hi Amelia,

I am not a doctor or other medical professional, and I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express. I also don't know anything about you or your medical history. With this disclaimer, I would take the Tamoxofin, as long as there is nothing about your medical history that puts you at risk for harmful side effects from Tamoxofin, such as blood clots. You can always stop taking it later, if you change your mind. I would also go to a major cancer center, if possible, for a second opinion.

When I stopped chemotherapy (and was NED), I started Zoladex injections to suppress my ovaries. A few months later my doctor started me on Femara, an aromatase inhibitor. I also continued on Herceptin. My onc explained that studies showed that Femara plus Herceptin led to better outcomes than Femara alone. A asked her about the converse -- Herceptin alone versus Herceptin plus Femara. She said that there were no trials on that because "no one would do that." She did not explain to me why no one would do that. I later poked around on the internet, including this site, and saw that this was a common treatment for Stage IV Her2 positive, ER positive women after chemotherapy. In particular, I noted that Dr. Eric Winer gave a presentation at which he said he would continue Herceptin with hormonal therapy after chemotherapy. So, I think it makes sense for you to have some form of hormonal therapy, but that is based largely on what my onc told me rather than independent research. (She really is an expert in the field, though.) Whether Tamoxofin or an AI is appropriate, I don't know, and you have a lot of input from others on this. I also think you should speak with someone about ovarian suppression. Although you have not had your period, that does not mean you are post menopausal. (I think you said you have an estradiol level of 50, which would confirm this point.) Ovarian suppression could be used together with either Tamoxofin or an AI and may give a better result than either alone.

Sorry if this is disjointed. I am rushing to get out. But again, I think it would be worth getting another opinion from someone who specializes in breast cancer. You could start taking Tamoxofin while you are waiting to schedule such an appointment.

Good luck! And congratulations on being one year out from diagnosis!

Jill