View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
swimangel72

I was so disappointed when my onc said I needed chemo after my Fish report came back Her2++++........but since I already had a mastectomy and was going on Arimidex, my onc said I could go on a "mild" chemo which wouldn't hurt my heart. He said studies show that Herceptin cuts your risk of recurrence nearly 50% if given with ANY chemo. So he put me on Navelbine every two weeks with Herceptin for 4 months, now I'm just getting Heceptin for the remainder of the year. The Navelbine was very doable - I did need a port because it can burn the veins, but then my port got infected so they had to use my veins anyway. As long as they infused the Navelbine slowly with saline at the same time, my veins were fine. I did experience light hair loss and damage to my finger nails - also a bit of diarhhea for a few hours after infusion - but that's all behind me now. I had 3 different oncologists agree with this treatment plan - but even so - I'm still worried that I'll have a recurrence since most women get Herceptin with Taxol. Still I think no matter what your treatment protocol, we worry about recurrence and always will. Good luck with your treatment decisions!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote