View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #16
mariapiedra

Hi, I was in a similar situation trying to decide between treatment plans. First onc wanted to go with AC x 4 & herceptin for a year. Second opinion at Dana Faber in Boston recommended a clinical trial: taxol & herceptin weeky for 12 weeks, herceptin every 3 weeks for the rest of the year. After a lot of research and posts to this site I decided to skip the AC. I've been doing the clinical trial of taxol/herceptin and it has been very tolerable. Had a setback with my "never used" chest port; it got infected & had to come out & then the infection landed me in the hospital for a week. My arm was beat up after the week in the hospital, but I've been doing quite well using the veins in my arm for treatments. I only have two more weeks of taxol/herceptin to go! I hope I can get through the entire treatment without a port, but if I end up needing one I will go with one in my arm before doing the chest port again. I know a lot of others have had success with them, unfortunately I did not. You'll do great, I understand the "first chemo anxiety" because I was there not too long ago, but it was fine and I look back and think that the anticipation was much worse than the actual treatment & side effects. Side effects for me have been very minor, the first couple of weeks I was tired. Then came the hot flashes. Now I do get some minor tingling &numbness in my fingers & feet. I've been doing acupucture and it has been helping feel more energetic & has helped reduce the intensity of the hot flashes. I'm still not sure it's helped with the neuropathy, but maybe after a few more treatments I'll notice a difference. Blessings!
8/2008 port
8/2008 1st of 12 taxol/herceptin

Just getting started...
mariapiedra is offline   Reply With Quote